Today we claim to know more about health and fitness that we have at any time in our history. Modern research and testing, along with medical advancement, has enabled us to learn things that perhaps our parents and grandparents just didnt know.
Their lives were consumed with existence and doing what was required to be done just to get by. Today we are living longer than at any other time in our history.
With that longer life comes a host of issues. Living longer can be a blessing if you remain healthy and illness free. But with age comes age related illnesses, some of which can be avoided, some perhaps not so easily.
As well as age related illnesses we have become prey to lifestyle sickness. These have a greater impact on us as we age. The good news though, is that most of these lifestyle illnesses can be avoided and reversed, if dealt with early enough.
Apart from dementia and alzheimer disease, heart disease and diabetes are the most common killers in the western world. We have reached the point where diabetes has surpassed smoking as our main health related killer.
Needless to say, smoking and drinking are relatively easy things to focus on when trying to improve your health. Our concern however, are those things that we never realised were damaging our health, like poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle.Diet : Solutions That Will Make You Feel Better
Eating and a sedentary lifestyle are the main cause of life being cut short in modern man. The good news is that we have complete control over them.Here are ten golden tips to put your health right back on track through diet:
- Monitor and manage your portions - control your calorie intake
- Opt for fruit and nuts as healthy snack alternatives to sugary sweets
- Eat lots of vegetables. Have vegetables in every meal you possibly can
- Cut out those sugary drinks. Even those drinks that are artificially sweetened as they can have a negative impact on your blood sugar
- Cut down on your bad fat, thats saturated fats found in biscuits, cakes, butter and ghee
- Drink lots of water to help flush your body of toxins and keep you well hydrated
- Cut down on all processed foods, white rice, white flour, pasta
- Opt for the healthy alternatives, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, brown bread
- Eat more healthy fats : avocados,; linseed, fish
- Replace red meats with white meat, fish, vegetable protein, Soya, Quorn and legumes
Whilst diet is the most important aspect of living a healthy life, it also important to ensure that we keep moving. Often, it is as simple as that, just keep on moving.
It doesnt have to be through gym membership or anything that represents a great physical challenge. The overall goal is to get at least 45 minutes of good quality movement every day. If this is a natural part of your daily activity, then that is perfect, because it can always get done.
If you find yourself in the gym though, use a velcro lifting belt.10 Simple Movements That Will Keep You Fit Forever
Dont do more than you can and build up slowly. Visit your doctor or healthcare practitioner before you start any new exercise regime.
Here are our top ten tips:
- Take the lift instead of the stairs
- Take 10 minutes out of your day to climb the stars ten times, up and down
- Walk to the local shops, the post office, the bank, rather than taking the car
- Get into gardening and spend time daily making your garden beautiful
- Invest in hand grips and when you are sat down use them on each hand this is great for lowering your blood pressure
- Get an exercise mat and stretch, keep stretching, always stretch
- Invest in some resistance bands to strengthen those muscles
- Do a few push ups everyday
- Do a few sit ups every day
- Take up dancing
Some additional great tips,/p> And Most Importantly
Whatever your lifestyle is like today, you can improve your quality of life, health and wellbeing through a few simple steps: managing your food intake and increasing your physical output.
Set a few goals to track your progress. Dont try too much or it may seem like a chore.
Keep it fun and stay healthy!
The author does not allow comments to this entry